Track & Field
Safety is an important issue to all of us and athletics has many different activities taking place usually at the same time. So if you are an athlete competing or a parent/carer watching or a club officer or official on duty it is essential that you are fully aware of what is happening around you at all times. These safety rules and guidelines are put in place to make your training and competition environment safer places for everyone please adhere to it all times.
• Listen to instructions given to you by coach/official/team manager at all times.
• Wear the correct clothing for the training/competition you are taking part in.
• Bring a change of clothing waterproof if raining and a drink.
• Spectate from behind the perimeter fence of the track.
• Keep off the cycle track
• Take note of weather conditions.
• Be aware of the emergency procedures and fire exits in the stadium.
• Make sure any equipment to be used is checked and is safe to use.
• No ball games are permitted within the track or field area at all times
• Stop look and listen before you step on to the track.
• Only run anticlockwise (the way you race).
• Only run in the designated lanes.
• 6mm spikes maximum allowed on the track only
• Be aware of runners coming up quickly behind you.
• Shout TRACK as a warning to fellow athletes as you approach runners ahead.
• Do not jog on the inside lanes.
• Jogging or walking should take place on the outside perimeter of the track.
• Step off the track as soon as you have finished.
• Do not run across the infield (throwing area) go around the outside.
• Do not jump hurdles in the wrong direction.
• Hurdles to be used in the outer lanes 5 6 or 7.
• Spikes must not be worn on the cycle track
• Only throw implements from the designated throwing areas.
Discus& Hammer – Throwing cage
Shot – Shot circle.
Javelin – Javelin runways.
• Never throw towards anyone, check the landing area is clear
• Retrieve implements only when nobody else is throwing.
• Carry implements back to the throwing area and do not throw back.
• Carry javelins vertically with point down.
• Blow a horn as a warning to other users in the infield area.
• Return any equipment used back to its original place.
• Only jump when the landing area is clear.
• Do not cross the runway without looking in both directions first
• Place markers at the side of the runway and not on it.
• Place rakes outside of the pit.
• Do not bounce or jump on and off landing beds.
• Stay on the pavement at all times avoid running on the actual roads.
• Run towards on coming traffic on the pavement.
• Make sure you are visible. No dark clothing at night wear reflective bibs and hats.
• Children under 16 must have parent consent before going on the road.
• Try to run with a group.
• Tell someone the route you are taking in case someone gets lost.
• Parent or club volunteer to follow group in car if necessary.
If you do have an accident or a near miss or an incident that we need to know. Please report it to the coach team manager, first aider or stadium staff as soon as possible and fill in an incident form.